Council Alumnus of the Year Award
Honoring outstanding alumni at the council level.
Mighty oaks from little acorns grow…
The Council Alumnus of the Year Award features an acorn, a reminder that Scouts and Scouters plant trees under which they may never sit.
It is in that vein that the award was created as it recognizes those that promote and share the gift of Scouting through their careers, avocations, and their influence.
- Career and/or avocation, such as achieving high honor or distinction in their chosen profession.
- Community service, including contributions to Scouting or other community efforts or organizations.
- Scouting promotion, contributing significantly to the promotion and/or advancement of the BSA alumni program and activities at a council level over a sustained period of time through word and/or deed.
We are trying to recognize folks who are not only distinguished but are also continuing to give back to Scouting or share Scouting’s message with others.
– Rick Bragga, Senior Vice-Chair of the BSA Alumni Association
How to get the award
- Nominees must be a BSA alumnus – which means he or she has been positively and personally impacted by the BSA in some way.
- Local councils may set additional process and procedures for selection.
- A maximum of one recipient may be awarded per council per year.
- Approved applications are forwarded to the to the BSA Alumni Association Committee for consideration. Those approved will be added to the list of Council Alumni Award Recipients.
Supply item description and uniform placement
Supply/Bin item no.
Council Alumnus of the Year Award Recipients
Listed alphabetically by council
*Multiple council alums of the year in a given year are due to council mergers
Abraham Lincoln (144)
Fred P. Barkett – 2019
Charles G. Ciccarelli – 2018
Alamo Area (583)
John W. “JT” Thomas – 2018
Allegheny Highlands (382)
Robert C. Leopoldino – 2019
Helen S. Shirota-Benevides – 2018
Barry K. Taniguchi – 2017
Robert Fujimoto – 2016
Andrew Jackson (303)
Anthony Wayne Area (157)
Bryan Lineberry – 2018