National Alumnus of the Year Award
Honoring Outstanding Alumni at the National Level.
Mighty oaks from little acorns grow…
The National Alumnus of the Year Award features an acorn, a reminder that Scouts and Scouters plant trees under which they may never sit.
It is in that vein that the award was created as it recognizes those that promote and share the gift of Scouting through their careers, avocations, and their influence.
The National Alumnus of the Year Award is different than other awards in Scouting as it does not simply recognize the individual for being a distinguished person or honor those giving time and energy to the BSA as a volunteer leader; Scouting already has awards that do that.
It is more of a combination between the two.
Primary consideration is given to those that remind Scouting alumni to maintain a lifetime relationship with Scouting, which enables Scouting to remain healthy for future generations. In addition, potential recipients of the award may be nominated based on the three following categories:
- Career and/or avocation, such as achieving high honor or distinction in their chosen profession.
- Community service, including contributions to Scouting or other community efforts or organizations.
- Scouting promotion, contributing significantly to the promotion and/or advancement of the BSA alumni program and activities at a national level over a sustained period of time through word and/or deed.
We are trying to recognize folks who are not only distinguished but are also continuing to give back to Scouting or share Scouting’s message with others.
– Rick Bragga, Senior Vice-Chair of the Scouting Alumni Association
How to get the award
- Nominees must be a BSA alumnus – which means he or she has been positively and personally impacted by the BSA in some way.
- A maximum of one recipient may be awarded in the nation per year.
- Nominations may be sent to the Scouting Alumni & Friends Committee for consideration. Those selected will be added to the list of National Alumni Award Recipients.
Supply item description and uniform placement
Supply/Bin item no.
Certificate No. (N/A); Knot, No. 611866; lapel pin, No. (N/A) Medal, No (N/A)